Climate change is a global issue. In the global warming crisis, reducing carbon emissions and environmental damage is the responsibility of all companies. There exists a capacity for expansion along with hidden opportunities and risks, but companies must be prepared to meet such challenges in advance.
Climate Change Risk Management
By participating in various domestic environmental sustainability-related activities and understanding environmental-related issues from stakeholders, such as governments, investors, customers, and the general public, the following types of risk and potential opportunities have been evaluated:
|Risk Items||Risk or impact caused||Opportunity and Solutions|
|legal Risk||International agreements regulate the carbon reduction commitments and policies of countries around the world, and Taiwan implemented the "Greenhouse Gas Reduction and Management Law Implementation Rules."||There may be more stringent greenhouse gas emission control, increasing the responsibility and risk of corporate greenhouse gas emission reduction.||
|Governments of various countries are discussing the introduction of carbon taxes, energy taxes, or environmental taxes.||May lead to an increase in business operating costs.||
|Real Risk||Failure of climate change mitigation and adaptation.||The frequency and intensity of extreme weather events and natural disasters have increased, causing impacts on business operations, employees, and supply chains, and even endangering lives and property.||
|Other Risks||Changes in consumption patterns.||Consumers will gradually value and choose low-carbon and environmentally friendly products.||Actively develop products or services that are more energy-efficient, more environmentally friendly, and more cost-effective, enhance the company's green image, and increase the company's turnover and market share.|
|Company image and goodwill||Stakeholders and external groups expect companies to improve their environmental performance.||To shape an enterprise that respects personal rights and can use technology to improve human life and environmental protection.|
To protect the environment and maintain the safety and health of all employees, a "Company Environmental Safety and Health Policy" was created. Winmate focuses on the production and development of rugged tablet computers and handheld devices. Its products are sold all over the world. To continue providing customers with high-quality products and services, and to integrate environmental management targets, green products, and the professional implementation of health and safety management – all to achieve the goal of sustainable development.
In addition to complying with relevant environmental protection regulations, we promise to reduce the environmental impact caused by activities and services in manufacturing and servicing processes. The goal is to create a situation where the economy and environmental protection can complement each other. Winmate promises to:
Obey the law:
Obtain, identify, follow, and comply with regulations and other requirements to reduce the environmental impact of Winmate's manufacturing and customer processes. All relevant information should be properly communicated to the employees.
To effectively control environmental impacts, provide appropriate protective facilities and equipment, and create operating standards to prevent environmental impacts caused by hazardous substances and waste management.
Promote environmental policies aimed at cleaner production processes and pollution prevention, establish measures for controlling activities related to significant environmental impacts, and evaluate the effectiveness of the environmental management system as the basis for performance evaluation.
Improve the quality of employees, enrich their technical and professional learning skills, and determine their required capabilities to improve work performance. Make employees aware of personal responsibilities, and promote participation in environmentally-focused activities.
Consultation and communication:
Strengthen interactions with employees, the public, suppliers, and other stakeholders, establish channels for communicating environmental policies and related messages, and give appropriate responses.
|Goals and Strategies|
Short-term goal: The reduction target is a 1% reduction in emissions per million of revenue (NTD).
Medium-range goal: In 2021, emissions per million revenue (NTD) will be reduced by 5% compared to the base year in 2016.
|Strategies||Promote various energy-saving measures and management plans to reduce energy consumption and lessen environmental impact.|
Environmental protection management
The main manufacturing unit of Winmateis related to assembly production, which has a relatively small impact on the environment. The self-planning, establishment, and operation of process equipment in the factory area all consider energy efficiency. The following are environmental management items:
- Water saving: there is wastewater generated in the process. The primary use of water is for employee's domestic use. In the washroom, the faucet and toilet use the sensory water supply to reduce water waste.
- Wastewater discharge: the company is in the factory building and shares the sewage system of the building, which is commissioned by qualified professionals and is tested and reported regularly. The final discharge of water is in a freshwater river basin.
- Lighting equipment: at present, company lighting consists of T5 and T8-LED lamps. Light reduction measures are implemented in the office corridor area; there is also a light switch map in the factory area to make on-site personnel aware of the light's location. Lighting is turned off in non-working areas to reduce power consumption.
- Air-conditioning equipment: commercial air-conditioning is used, with a total heat exchanger, regular filter cleaning, and timing device settings to reduce power consumption. There is also a map of where all the air conditioners are located.
- Production electricity: production machinery and burn-in tests are the main sources of electricity consumption. Production is based on a production schedule, where power is turned off during rest periods to avoid idling or unnecessary power consumption.
Waste management and treatment: aiming at safety, sanitation, harmlessness, and resource utilization. The company prioritizes proper waste treatment at the source to focus on environmental benefits. The waste disposal instructions are as follows:
- Classification management: the resources and hazardous industrial waste are classified and managed in different areas. The name, diagram, and code of the waste are posted in each area to help personnel separate and classify the different types of garbage. The waste disposal environment and storage conditions are routinely checked monthly.
- Manufacturing package materials: all packaging is recycled in a dedicated area, where the manufacturer regularly reuses the material when deemed suitable.
- General household garbage: general waste is taken care of by the dedicated cleaning staff and is placed in the waste recycle area of the building and handled by the cleaning and transportation company assigned by the building management committee.
- Food waste: food waste buckets are used, which are then collected and processed daily by the appointed personnel.
- Office waste: it is divided into different categories such as paper, foam, plastic, fluorescent lamp, battery, etc., which are cleaned and transported by the building cleaning staff into the recycling areas at regular intervals, and then handed over to qualified cleaning companies for recycling.
- Hazardous industrial waste: electronic components, scraps, and defective products are categorized and stored in a specific area to avoid pollution caused by storage-sharing with other waste material. After being cleaned and processed regularly according to laws and regulations by qualified cleaning companies.
|year||Water Consumption||General Industrial Waste||Hazardous Industrial Waste|
Winmate is committed to the design and development of green products. The company not only complies with industrial environmental protection trends in the international market, but it also adopts green products as the company's basic obligation and duty to fulfill its part as global corporate citizenship. Product design thinking is based on the "product life cycle" whereby the environmental impact of various life cycles, such as raw material procurement, manufacturing, transportation and distribution, consumer use disposal, and recycling.
Greenhouse gas management
The impact, adjustment, and mitigation of global climate change have become one of the most important environmental issues in the world. To strengthen Winmate green initiatives, we must first understand our own environmental performance and hope that we can continue to improve from the inside out to create a company of sustainable value. Winmate evaluates the effectiveness of greenhouse gas management through carbon emission surveys and expects to positively contribute to reducing the overall national carbon reduction goals.
Goal and course
Winmate followed the requirements of the International Standards Organization (ISO) for greenhouse gas inventory in 2008 and ISO 14061-1:2006. After that, it carried out greenhouse gas inventory work every year and set 2016 as the base year for self-inventory declaration. At the same time, internal documentation and verification procedures were established to promote environmentally-focused participation for all employees. Winmate is a non-energy-intensive industry, whereby greenhouse gas emissions mainly come from purchased electricity that accounts for more than 90%. Therefore, the company strives to save electricity to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Greenhouse gas emissions
Winmate has been conducting greenhouse gas inventories every year since 2007. To achieve data consistency, the GWP value of the second assessment report published by IPCC in 1995 is adopted. The fuel default coefficient mainly adopts the version of IPCC 2006, and the power coefficient of the factory adopts the framework from the Taiwan Ministry of Economic Affairs Bureau. At present, Scope 3 (Scope 3) is not included in the scope of the disclosure. Scope 1 (Scope 1) and Scope 2 (Scope 2) greenhouse gas emission trends (2018~2020) are as follows:
|Total emissions (Ton CO2e)||752.70||790.02||779.24||774.51|
|Emissions per million Taiwan dollars revenue (Ton CO2e/ Million NTD)||0.559||0.505||0.468||0.420|